Once, I was in dilemma when my mama suggested me to study Teaching English as Second Languaga(TESL) for my undergraduate level. No doubt that I really like and want to master the language but to study further of it and teach kids, might be a nightmare for me. I really wanted(want) to study arts or something to do with filming - photography. Yep, I had a dream of working in Arts Center or Discovery Channel. Eeeek! Of course mama didn't like my idea and I decided not to tell my dad.. my mama was worried if I graduate later, it will be hard for me to get a stable job with well-paid salary.
I looked at the bright side of her advice. I am not a hard-working girl (honest), with all these people who have the same interest as me, it'd be a struggle for me to step my leg into the field I like - arts. After getting my form 3 exam's result (PMR), I was unhappy with it and of course my parents too. I confess, yes I did not study as much as I did on my last exam in high school. It was a pain for me and my family - especially mama who would burn the midnight oil together with me studying. That's crazy. She spent her time for me to get all my grammar correct and she even searched me articles from news, so I could be able to write as good as that in my GCE paper. (Even though I speak English with mama, before this, all rojak and my grammar was crap haha).
How could I not touch?
Before all these happened, to satisfy my wants, she agreed to buy me my first DSLR in 2009 and even brought me to England. And my dad - he got me an iPhone a year after that just to motivate me to study even harder for my SPM - Sijil Puaka Maut - ok kidding, the exam that could change my life, I think? Alhamdulillah, I changed my study habits and thanks to insomnia, I could burn the midnight oil (oops repetition) at nights. Thank God - I got a pretty good result. Mama, of course, she was really blessed. She was not ashamed anymore if any of her friends asked her daughter exam's result.
University application time. This time I had the motivation to be an ESL teacher as I got 1 for my GCE result so yes I applied TESL for my first choice and law for second. My mama then, asked me to apply as well for Teaching Institute(IPG). She has 'brain-washed' me of course, saying that I will not have any debts if I got to go to Teaching Institute. Scholarship and what more? Allowance. I did not say much even though something crossed my mind that time - yes no popular university for me. =( And worse, IPG don't send TESLians anymore to overseas. Sad case indeed.
But where am I now? In Arts Academy or related to it? Naah, I'm trained to be an English teacher. Even though I was pushed at first, now not anymore. InshaAllah. I'm now trying to fit myself with the surrounding. To accept all people around me. Not to degrade anyone, most important. InshaAllah.
A sacrifice I'm doing not only for her, but for me as well, obviously. =)
But mama, my interest to arts and photography will never die! :D *canoneos60dplease* *wink-wink* ;) ;)
No comments:
Post a Comment